✓ Why is the appliance called refrigerator?
In Latin, the adjective "frigus" means cold, and its verb is "refrigerare". This is where the name refrigerator comes from which is also often shortened to fridge.
✓ What is the life expectancy of a fridge?
Although refrigerators now have a shorter life expectancy than previous generations, they still last a while. This of course depends on the manufacturer, but the average life expectancy is somewhere in the region of 14-15 years.
✓ What are the signs your fridge is dying?
There are many signs that your fridge is about to die. These include:
1. Food spoiling before expiration date.
2. Motor appears to be making more noise than usual.
3. It's always running. Fridges are meant to run about 45% of the time, not constantly.
4. Too much condensation. An indication your fridge is not cooling as it should.
5. Increased repair costs. There's a point when it's time to cut your losses and buy a new one.